How to Customize Your Chat & Text Engagements
If you’re rockin’ our new embedded window on your site (thanks to what we refer to as the “unified tag,” which is nerd-talk for cool code), you’re in for a treat. Not only is it a great customer experience, it gives you more control. For example, your Contact At Once! admin can customize the way your chat and text invitations (your “engagements”) look, behave and are located, right from the portal.
There are two main types of engagements you can tweak:
Overlay engagements appear on top of the page content and stay visible while the visitor is scrolling on the page. Overlays are ideal for drawing attention to things you don’t want your visitors to miss—like the fact that they can chat or text with you!
Embedded engagements appear directly in the website content. They are for static locations where visitors might be looking to connect with you, such as a reminder invitation to chat or text on a “Contact Us” page or in the header or footer of your website.
Here’s what you can do to those engagements:
- Choose the appearance – Either pick from our gallery or upload your own custom image. (Currently, you can only upload an image for embedded engagements. Our overlay gallery will be expanded in the future to give you even more options here, though.)
- Decide the location – You can determine which pages you want the chat/text overlay engagement to appear on, no waiting on your website service provider! (You still need to send the code for embedded engagements.)
- Change their behavior – You’ve got a lot of settings at your fingertips, like the ability to choose the language of your chat/text window (English/French/Spanish), where your window will open (bottom left, bottom right, etc.), how long it will take for the engagement to appear to the website visitor, and so on.
- Quicker changes – Most changes you make on your engagements will reflect on your website immediately—without the need to re-deploy code on your website. It updates as you customize.
The best part? It’s easy, even for us non-coders:
- If you’re the Contact At Once! admin for your company, log into the Contact At Once! portal.
- Go to the “Settings” tab.
- Select “Manage Engagements” from the drop-down options.
To make changes to your overlay engagements:
- Click the pencil (edit) icon.
- Choose your selections under “Options” to change the appearance, behaviors, locations, etc.
- Click “Save” and voila! You’re customized, baby!
To make changes to your embedded engagements:
- Click the pencil (edit) icon.
- Choose your selections under “Options” to change the appearance, behaviors, etc.
- Click Save.
- Copy and paste the code onto your website where you would like the embedded engagement to appear (or ask your website provider to do it).
As you can see, there’s a lot of power in your corner with this unified tag. But don’t worry: If you ever get lost or need help, our Support team is waiting in the wings to help. We’re here to help you get the most out of messaging…including getting it to look and act the way that works best for you and your brand.
Want more step-by-step details on customizing engagements? Check out this support documentation. And if you want to get this added to your site, chat or text with us below!